Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Festival of Fire??

For my English class we have to go on a field trip in Second Life. Our fearless leader, Ignatius Onomatopoeia, told us about an annual festival that is held in Second Life called the "Burning Life Festival". The "Burning Life Festival" is a festival that celebrates art and community; it comes for just one week in October and then disappears until the next year. It seems to have become a very popular event for other Second Life residents.

I intend on going to the Opening Ceremonies of the festival with my dear friend and fellow fierce resident Fierce Soulstar. We are going to the Opening and Fireworks at Fire Stage and the Pop/Soft Rock Party with DJ Iknow Tomorrow. Both of these events start at noon Second Life Time. (Who knew the virtual worlds had standardized time??)

In going to this event, I hope to learn more about the culture of Second Life. I've been to many places that are of interest to the academic community, but I have only once been to a place where other avatars are, and even when I was there, there were only very few avatars. This time, I will be able to interact with avatars that are outside of the academic community and come to Second Life just to have fun or meet people from different walks of life.

I must say, I'm looking forward to meeting other avatars that aren't in Second Life for academics because I can learn about a brand new perspective about Second Life society and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment